Monday, February 16, 2009

Cactus juice!!

Hi everyone!! This is me, Brownie the Beaver, and I am here in Mexico! Mrs. Penner has been putting me in a LOT of pictures, and I am having a lot of fun learning all about Mexico. This is me at the entrance to an old silver mine. Long ago in Mexico, boys as young as 14 started working in the mines and many of them got sick. They only lived for 10 more years. Many moms and dads were very sad about that. The mine closed in 1959. Mrs. Penner and me and the rest of the teachers walked in that long, dark tunnel and I was pretty scared, but Mrs. Penner told me it would be all right. I was glad when we came out in the sunshine again.
This is a picture of cactus juice!! Yes, cactus juice. Mrs. Penner asked me if I would like some but I said no, so she had to drink it. She said it was kind of bitter, but also kind of sweet. Cactus juice helps people in Mexico who have diabetes. Mrs. Penner drank the whole thing.




Well, here I am in a small town in Mexico, looking up the road at all the people. Mrs. Penner is taking a picture of me, but I hope I can stay here for a long time so I can look at all the people. I see many people, and they are all speaking Spanish. Mrs. Penner doesn't understand Spanish at all, so she has to ask other teachers in the group who do understand Spanish to help her. It is a lot warmer here than in Winnipeg, and my fur coat is a bit too warm. I have to say that I miss the Winnipeg rivers to swim in, but I will be back soon I know it.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Brownie this is P6 writing to you from Ralph Brown school in Winnipeg. We miss you! Ask Mrs. Penner if the juice was yummy or gross? How is your visit to Mexico going? Did you learn how to speak some Spanish? Brownie, were you scared on the plane? Have you seen lots of monarchs yet? Did the other school like our book?

    It is very freezing cold here in Winnipeg. I Love to Read week is happening at RB next week. We are having a good week at school with our substitute teacher. We look forward hearing your next message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi everyone!! Thank you for putting a comment on!! It is nice to hear from everyone. Here are the answers to your questions. The juice was mostly yummy but a bit gross. My visit to Mexico is going great, I am learning a LOT. Yes, I have learned to speak some Spanish. I am learning more quickly than I thought. Brownie was a bit scared on the plane because he had never been on a plane before, but he was glad he didn{t have to travel alone. I have seen a LOT of monarchs, and I have a lot of stories to tell you. The other school loved our book, and I have many pictures to show you.

    The weather here is warm but not too hot. It is hard to remember what winter is like! The weather here right now is like a nice day in July.

    I will post another entry to my blog now. I hope Mrs. Cornwell can show it to you today.

    Love,
    Mrs. Penner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mrs. Penner & Brownie:

    Was it fun in mexico? Is it warm there? I hope our next field trip Brownie can come with us. Thats what he said in the message from mexico. Mrs. Penner I will be bringing a treat for everyone when return from your trip. We miss you and can not wait for you to come back.
    Stormi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stormi! Thank you for your comment!! I also hope that Brownie can come on all our field trips. One thing I have found out is that he makes trips a lot more fun! I think Mrs. Freiling will let us bring Brownie, and then we'll take more pictures of him. Before I left Mexico, I bought two hats for him, one for the sun and one for special occasions. The second one is very fancy. Brownie wanted to wear the second one but I said wait until we get back to school and we will have a special celebration.
    See you soon,
    Love,
    Mrs. Penner

    ReplyDelete