Friday, February 20, 2009

School time in Mexico

Hi everyone!! This is Mrs. PEnner, not Brownie, writing.(Brownie will write in a second.). Did you read my response to your comment? It was great to hear from you all this morning, and I am so happy to hear all your good questions. I tried to answer them quickly in a comment. I have a bit of time to blog here, and then we have to eat breakfast and go to see the pyramids. It is the last day of my trip today.

Hi everyone. FInally Mrs. Penner let me use the keyboard and tell you about my adventures. She wanted to write more but I kept poking her in the elbow so she finally let me on when I started to nibble her elbow with my big teeth.

I wanted to tell you all about my visit to the school. You should have seen it. I bet the thing you would love the best is that they let dogs wander all around the school. Wouldn't that be great if we let dogs come in the classroom all the time? (They were very good dogs, one of them gave me a kiss too.) Mrs. Penner read the book we made to the children. She read the English part and the students read the Spanish part. Then she gave them all a little pin of the Golden Boy and a Canada flag and a Canada penny. They thought that was all really great. The best part was when I got to have fun with the children. They thought the book was good, but when I started to talk to them, they had BIG smiles. They gave me a Spanish name!! It is "Cafe Cito" (Cafe See Toe). It means "LIttle Brownie". They all wanted to hold me, and even the dogs thought I was great. MAny of the girls and even some boys gave me hugs and laughed when Mrs. Penner pretended to make me bite them. They wanted me to stay forever, but Mrs. Penner told them that I was an amigo (friend) for my students in Canada. So they let me go at the end. Mrs. Penner had a lot of fun with them. All the teachers had fun.

The school there is much smaller than ours, and they don't have very many pencils and books like we do. But they seem very happy. Guess what, they are learning multiplication like we are. Mrs. Penner asked one student to answer all the times tables questions, but she wasn't sure if the student was right because she couldn't understand the spanish numbers! But she smiled anyways and said good in Spanish (Buen).

At lunch time the Parent Council of the school made a big lunch for everyone. Mrs. Penner got a plate with a lot of good food, but one thing on the plate was a fish with the eyes still on it. She was a bit scared to eat it, but she did anyways and she said it was yummy. But she didn't eat the eyes. She asked me if I wanted some and I said no again (just like the cactus juice). I don't really like fish.

I also wanted to tell you quickly about the second monarch colony that Mrs. Penner took me too. I got to ride a horse!! That was cool, but the best part was seeing so many monarch butterflies. She took a lot of pictures but she is having trouble putting them on the computer this morning. So she said to tell you that she will show you them next week.

Today she is taking me to see the pyramids. There is the pyramid of the sun and the pyramid of the moon. Maybe Mrs. Cornwell can find some pictures of them to show you. We have to climb a lot of stairs today to get to the top.

It is hard to believe that I will see you all in a few days. Please tell Mrs. Penner when we get back that I want to come on all the field trips this year. I love traveling. Did you know that the Spanish word for beaver is "castor"? They said they have beavers in Mexico too.

Bye for now. Please try to comment because I think the comment section works now!

Adios Amigos (good bye friends!)
Love,
Mrs. Penner and Brownie "Cafe Cito"

2 comments:

  1. Mrs. Pennr and Brownie,

    Did you get any pictures of monarchs?
    I loved what you told us about the school…but I have a question….how many kids were in the class?

    Was Brownie scared on the horse ride?

    And how many kids are in the school.

    I thought the part about the dogs was awesome because we don’t get to have dogs here!

    But Mrs. Penner, the part about the fish with the eyes sounded nasty. How did the fish part that you ate taste? You said it was good but was it really that good?


    We can’t wait for you to come back and to see you and see the pictures of the monarch butterflies and of Mexico.

    Are you missing the snow?

    We found all 13 hearts that were hidden the room..how smart is that?

    We hope that you have a safe journey home and don’t forget to bring Brownie!!!

    Your class from P-6

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again P6! I know I've already answered some of your questions in class, but I will answer your excellent questions again in here again in case you want to see them again. (This is Mrs. P. writing, not Brownie :-)
    1- I got a lot of pictures of monarchs, and I will bring some to school this Monday! Brownie even got a monarch butterfly that landed on his nose! So he was pretty excited about that. I took a picture.
    2 - There weren't many kids in the class that I visited. It was a grade 3 class, and there were probably about 15 students in that class.
    3 - Brownie did not seem very scared at all about the horse ride. He really loved it actually.
    4 - In the school altogether... there were probably about 100 kids. So that is about 1/2 as many as our school.
    5 - The fish that I tasted was really that good!
    6 - I did not miss the snow at all, but now that I am back in Winnipeg, I am glad to see it again. When the students asked me how much snow there was, I showed them a lot (about 1 meter). Their eyes turned very big. I said it was very cold in Canada.
    7 - That's great that P6 found all 13 hearts hidden in the books... but... did you read all the books? :-)
    8 - Thank you for wishing me a safe journey home. Brownie and I had a looooooooooooooong day last Saturday, coming home on 2 plane rides, so we were very happy to finally come home. Brownie didn't like being stuffed into my crowded backpack, but that was the only place I could put him. So he was very glad to get out of there and now he enjoys watching P6 learn every day!

    Thank you for writing everyone!
    Love,
    Mrs. Penner & Brownie

    ReplyDelete